Hiking Washington's Fire Lookouts
by Amber Casali.
This new guide to hiking the fire lookouts of Washington‚Äôs Cascades and Olympics is the quintessential Northwest guide and will appeal to a wide range of hikers. Features of Hiking Washington‚Äôs Fire Lookouts include:
- 44 fire lookouts‚Äîthose that feature access by trail
- All lookouts are accessible during the typical summer season
- Only lookouts that are still standing‚Äîno hiking up to a barren mound of broken concrete!
- Routes are not technical‚Äîhikers just need boots, trekking poles, and, probably, lunch
- Lookout history, anecdotes, and full-color photos throughout
Each lookout description features the year it was constructed; access details, including overnight stays and winter access; location and land manager; roundtrip distance on trail; trail elevation gain; lookout‚Äôs elevation; map info; trailhead GPS coordinates; information about any permits or fees; and driving directions to the trailhead. Introductory chapters provide an overview of Washington State‚Äôs lookouts, as well as information about their upkeep, lookout architectural types, and general hiking tips, while an appendix provides an overview to a handful of additional lookouts in the state that are not hikable.
Publisher: Mountaineers Books
Published: Apr 16, 2018
Paperback / softback